SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion Forums > Hardware, Software, and Computer Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - still looking for a newer cpu. what to look for
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

still looking for a newer cpu. what to look for

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emisary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: still looking for a newer cpu. what to look for
    Posted: March-03-2017 at 10:25am
Hello,

I am looking for quite some years for a newer system. Allways some new glorious stuff come up at the horizon. But do not make it in time.
As my present system (2600k), is still coming along, there is not a big haste.
Yet windows 7, support diminishing means a bit more haste to find a system that supports Win 7.

4790k, 6700k and the new AMD Ryzen do support it.

I know that single core performance is the major factor.
Clockspeed will, but is that a major factor? Suppose I'd take a 1960 8ghz cpu or a new at 4 ghz. You bet on it that the modern one is the fastest.;-)
So the clockspeed is not major.
What do you look for then? High IPC per core? Or is a high Cynebench per core more important to watch at.

Perhaps I have forgotten an item?

Thanks,

RobB
electric man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2017 at 12:53pm
1960 CPU at 8Ghz?? I don't think CPU's back then already existed and if they did they would have been no more then about 100 Mhz. Cores do matter, a 4 core CPU at 2.5 Ghz would about be the same as a single core at 10 Ghz but where do you need it for? FSX, P3D or some other game since you want an AMD card?

Herman
Bert Pieke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Pieke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2017 at 1:56pm
If you have the money, build a new system with a 6700K, GTX1070, on a good quality motherboard with GSkill RAM and SSDs for hard storage.

That will work very well for you and you can run Win7.

Don't worry too much about the "latest and greatest".. just get something that will perform well for FSX and P3D.
Bert
emisary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emisary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2017 at 5:53pm
@Electric man: the 1960 8ghz was as a matter of speaking. But I think you got that little twinkle. ;-). If they had one, it would run fast but not strong.
But I am not so sure, wether a single core would be as fast as a quad core, at a quarter of the speed. Or I am completely wrong. I  always understood that the sim runs on one core only. Including rendering of stuff. The bells and wistles like weather tools run on the other cores. So you need a cpu that is good at single core. But like I said, maybe I am wrong.

The Ryzen is not a graphics card, but a new AMD cpu, with specs up to the Intel i7 6800/6900.
Its IPC and cynebench are a bit lower then the 4790k and 6700k. But it has 8 cores and Hyperthreding.
https://tweakers.net/reviews/5239/3/ryzen-7-processors-amd-is-terug-in-de-race-synthetische-en-praktijktests.html
It is in Dutch, but the statistics are readable in English as well ;-)
The 6700 runs still  a bit faster on a single core.

@Bert Well latest and greatest would be the 7700, but then bound to Win10. I am not sure if FSX even runs on it. And I not so forgetfull about the privacy issues. You switch them off and MS switches them on again or says that cortana needs them. I do not need Cortana.

I was a bit eying on the 6700 or the older but still good 4790k.
In this moment I have an Nvidia 780GTX.

Thanks for both insides.

RobB
electric man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electric man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 2:35am
FSX ( SP2 and acceleration )and P3D are both designed to run on a maximum of 4 cores, not 1.
FSX can't use hyperthreading though, P3D can use it.
AMD has never been really the CPU nor Grapics hardware for FSX, I know they are way cheaper but I tested this in the past and was blown away how much better Intel and Nvidia cards work for FSX.

Herman
caveman2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caveman2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 10:14am
You don't mention FSX or P3D, but if it's P3D you might hold off any decision/discussion until we find out what v4 does or does not do.
Bert Pieke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Pieke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by electric man electric man wrote:

FSX can't use hyperthreading though, P3D can use it.
Herman

Really?
Bert
TheFamilyMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFamilyMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2017 at 9:45pm
Why get a 6700k over a 7700K?  The 7700K is the latest i7 and it will be faster, plus it overclocks like a champ and is in the same price range.  Be sure to match it with some really fast DDR4 ram.  Forget about the Ryzen for now.  Maybe in 6 or 12 months it'll come of age, but for now it's oozing bleeding edge tech.

Edit:  Oops, missed the Win 7 requirement.  But if it were me, I'd cut bait on the past (realistically that'll be when my 4770K build dies, or when a worthy FS comes out that really can use 8+ cores.)
Rod O.

i7 4770k @4.5/4.3, Asus Z87 Pro, 2x8GB DDR3 2400 cas 10, evga 1070 gtx SC, Corsair TX-750 PSU, Silver Arrow SB-E HSF

Win 7 Ult 64, Asus 25" IPS 2K monitor
emisary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emisary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2017 at 2:55pm
Sorry for not posting back. Got smacked down by the flue.
@Caveman.
I still use FSX. As I have a lot of stuff for it, and it still runs.

I have been eyeing to Prepar3d, but 3.4 makes me a bit nervous, as one of my favourite planes has some issues (QW Avrojet).

With X-plane I have to start all over again. and my last trial from was not a succes (x-plane 4 - 6 somewhere.)

I have seen the first test results of the Ryzen. Somewhat equal to the 6800 range. Just a bit lower.
Yet for half the price. Which is not bad.

So 6700 is still the best choice.

Thanks for your insides.
emisary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emisary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2017 at 6:21pm
I have been reading a lot lately about the newer processors and what Microsoft wants to support.
Starting the 6700 and up, including the 68xx family and Ryzen, only Windows 10 will be supported.
That brings me back to what I should have been buying  2-3 years ago. 4790K.
Windows 10 is a nogo, if I recall all the driver issues. I have seen how it drops framerates (15-18 where windows 7 had 20-25 on the same computer). And not to forget the keylogger and privacy issues Microsoft had introduced.  It is not for nothing that Windows 7 is still over 65% of all Windows installs.

Thanks for your insides.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic