SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > AirWrench - Air Traffic FX and GeoApr
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GeoApr Won't Connect to FSX-SE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GeoApr Won't Connect to FSX-SE
    Posted: March-13-2017 at 6:52pm
I'm having difficulty running GeoApr after having not used it for a long time. What's below is kind of long-winded but wanted to paint the complete picture...

GeoApr will not connect to FSX (Steam Edition). 

I'm running on a Win7 PC and using FSX-SE.  Both FSX and GeoApr are on the same PC and same drive.  I'm running both "As Administrator".

I've tried setting the compatibility mode for GeoApr.exe for Windows XP SP2 (and SP3).  Neither helped.

The "Connect to networked PC" check box in the GeoApr dialog box is un-checked.

GeoApr is a fresh download and re-install and is version 1.02.

I manually edited the "ROOT=" line in the [FSXpath] section of GeoApr.cfg to point to FSX-SE.  It now reads...

[FSXpath]
"ROOT=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX"

I'm a valid purchaser of GeoApr; I purchased it on 8/30/14, order number [blanked]. My order confirmation e-mail includes a Proof of Purchase Certificate Number [blanked]. GeoApr has only been installed on this one computer; I've never tried to install it anywhere else.

I can load GeoApr, select an approach plate, geo-reference the approach plate and it saves as a jpg upon exiting, but the rotating red aircraft icon and the red dot at the bottom of the plate remain, indicating no connection. 

I have run the "Regenerate Installed GeoRef Database" from the GeoApr menu button a couple of times.  F2 displays all the nearby waypoints properly, including Terminal Waypoints associated with the airport I'm using.  They all display in the left edge of the GeoApr window. A shift-click on a waypoint in the list shows it on the plate, as described in the GeoApr manual. 

The aircraft is located at the airport that the approach plate is for and is within the GeoApr guide lines in the Plan View of the geo-referenced approach plate.

Everything seems to work per the manual except the lack of a connection between GeoApr and FSX-SE.

I've checked SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\ and the three subdirectories, FSX-RTM, FSX-SP1 and FSX-XPack.  Each has an MSI file but it appears they had already been installed. Each of the three folders has a number of other files that seem to be related, including, in each one, Microsoft.FlightSimlator.SimConnect.dll.

The dll filename was the same in each case but the dll file sizes were different in each of the three folders, so I suspect each was a different version of SimConnect. Anyway, all three were already there but I ran the msi files again in each folder anyway, just to be sure.   The installers ran OK, without errors, but nothing changed.

There is also a file "SimConnect.dll" (2/13/10, 38 KB) in the GeoApr main folder.

Although this has the smell of SimConnect issue, I run AirHauler2 without problems and it also uses SimConnect.  

There is a GeoApr log file that is 216,000 lines long which might contain a clue but it's all pretty meaningless to me - seems mostly to be associated with the regeneration of the GeoApr database.  The file is about 10 MB and I can send it or DropBox it if that's any help unravelling this.

I'm pretty baffled and would appreciate any help.  I'm starting on a new project and GeoApr was to be part of it, so I'm dead in the water for now.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

John Allard

John Allard
mudpond View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudpond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 5:52pm

First just a bit of info...

The red dot at the bottom of the plate indicates there is no connection to the sim.  The dot turns green when GeoApr connects to the sim.  The spinning red aircraft icon means the aircraft location is out of range on the approach plate, and that's always going to happen when there is no connection.

The supplied file "SimConnect.dll" has to be in the GeoApr main folder.

I have FSX and P3D installed, but not the Steam FSX version.  GeoApr works fine with everything I have, so I've been looking for ways to break it that match your description, but so far I've only found one.

If you are running GeoApr on the same computer with FSX, then the 'Connect to networked PC' box should be empty (i.e. not checked) when you start GeoApr.  If you have checked this box at some point, there will be file named 'simconnect.ini' in the same folder with GeoApr.exe.  If so, delete the simconnect.ini file, and try running GeoApr again.

allardjd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 6:35pm

Thanks for the quick answer.  I'm afraid it's none of those, however...

"The supplied file "SimConnect.dll" has to be in the GeoApr main folder."

It is.

"If you are running GeoApr on the same computer with FSX, then the 'Connect to networked PC' box should be empty (i.e. not checked) when you start GeoApr."

It is not checked.

"If you have checked this box at some point, there will be file named 'simconnect.ini' in the same folder with GeoApr.exe.  If so, delete the simconnect.ini file, and try running GeoApr again."

I've never had any reason to put a check in that box.  There is no "simconnect.ini" file in the GeoApr folder.

John

John Allard
mudpond View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudpond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2017 at 9:35pm

Can you find the folder where fsx.cfg is located? For the boxed version of FSX, it's:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX"

There may be a file in this folder named 'SimConnect.xml'.  This file is used to add config parameters for the SimConnect communications layer.  It's mainly used when a simconnect add-on is run on a remote computer.  This is just a shot in the dark, but it's possible another program has installed a communications config that inadvertently blocks other programs.

GeoApr doesn't need SimConnect.xml when it's run on the same computer with FSX, so a quick way to test this would be to find SimConnect.xml, temporarily rename it (just add a -, i.e '-SimConnect.xml'), then try running GeoApr.  If that works, the solution is fix SimConnect.xml.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic