SimForums.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Flight One Software Forums > BN-2 Islander Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BN-2 Islander Sound Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBeckett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BN-2 Islander Sound Problem
    Posted: May-22-2015 at 3:55am
BN-2 Islander Sound Problem

When I open the throttle a very high pitch scream starts up and is unbearable. The sound is present using any view even outside the aircraft. If I turn the avionics off the sound  stops but after a short time or if I move the throttle it returns. It's spoiling a very nice aircraft is there anyway I can fix it ? I've already unistalled the program and re downloaded it but the sound is still there. Anyone know which sound WAV I could remove to remove this annoying unrealistic sound

DavidBeckett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBeckett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2015 at 11:07am
Just bumping this hoping for a reply
Jeff Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 3:48pm
Hello,

Not sure of the sound file that is causing the issue. You can look in the sound folder under the Simobjects aircraft to start testing which file it is. I would also make sure your sound drivers are up to date.
Keep the Blue Side UP! - Flight1 Sales / Customer Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBeckett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 7:42am
The package comes with an option for quieter sounds and that includes a quieter sound for the Avionics (the problem sound) but it didn't make any difference to my ears. I've tried removing sound files from the aircraft sound folder, in fact I ended up with no WAV files at all, it didn't stop any of the sounds all of them could still be heard. I do have the latest sound drivers installed. Any other ideas how to remove the Avionics sound Wav?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 3:30pm
Hello,

Hmmm.... This is definitely pointing to sound card issue. Is your sound card built in the motherboard or is it a separate card?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBeckett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 5:07am
I use Sound Blaster Z series card with 5 speakers I have no problems with that on any other aircraft,  I tried using the computers inbuilt sound card using two speakers and it is exactly the same. :(   My gripe is when I'm using an outside view of the aircraft the Avionics sound overpowers the sound from the engines by at least four fold, you should not hear the avionics at all from outside the aircraft.   The other sounds like flaps, undercarriage , runway rumble are great sounds, but the avionics sound is dreadful is there any way at all to remove that one sound?
jmrstam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmrstam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 8:23am
Hi
I'am the same problem. Any solution?. I have found that, at times, after a period of time more or less long the noise disappears, but I don't know why. Any idea? All drivers in my PC are updated. I'm sure, there isn't a problem with the sound card.
PBY5A CATALINA
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2015 at 4:59pm
Hello Guys,

Not sure what is causing this issue. Perhaps someone else can chime in with a solution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBeckett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 8:35am
I don't think Flight One are really interested, passing the problem to a forum to suggest fixes is not really dealing with issues. I'll think twice before buying anything else under their label. :(
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 7:16pm
Hello David,

The problem is we cannot replicate it here. We are not passing the buck so to speak. We have sold quite a few copies of this software and there hasn't been these types of complaints with the sound. This is more a system specific issue, then a product issue. Otherwise, we would have complaints about it from everyone that purchased it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBeckett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 7:09am
OK your points are noted. So if removing all the sound wav files from the sound folder the sounds are all still running, just where are the sounds stored or coming from?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2015 at 2:27am
Hello David,

Let me see if I can find out where additional sounds might be at. Stand by.
Hodge001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hodge001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2015 at 7:23am

Hi

It may well not be the answer but I have seen gauges with embedded sounds, you don’t see many of them now but there were a few of them some time ago.

As I say it may well have nothing to do with your issue I just thought I would post just in case.

Take care.

Jim Hodkinson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBeckett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 5:30am
Interesting! In the panel folder I found these...
[Window00]
file=No2D.bmp 
Background_color=0,0,0 
size_mm=1024
window_size_ratio=1.000  
position=7
visible=1
ident=0

gauge00=Virtavia_Sound!DeadPixl_XMLSound,  0,0,1,1
gauge01=Flight1_BN2!Backbone_sound,  40,30,20,20

[Vcockpit01]
Background_color=0,0,0 
size_mm=1024,1024
visible=1
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$vpanel

gauge00=Flight1_BN2_kln90a!GPS,  500,1,380
gauge01=Flight1_BN2!Altimeter,  2,185,157,157
gauge02=Flight1_BN2!C21AP,  1,1,195,38
gauge03=Flight1_BN2!KN54,  197,1,195,37
gauge04=Flight1_BN2!KR871,  1,105,338,39
gauge05=Flight1_BN2!KR872,  1,145,338,39
gauge06=Flight1_BN2!KX155,  1,40,498,64
gauge07=Flight1_BN2!Stall,  340,105,55,55
gauge08=Flight1_BN2!KT67A,  393,1,31,37
gauge09=Flight1_BN2!KMA24,  883,1,26,78
gauge10=Virtavia_Sound!DeadPixl_XMLSound,  814,262,100
gauge11=Flight1_BN2!Backbone_sound,  84,461,20,20
gauge12=Flight1_BN2!GUV1,  912,1,47,47
gauge13=Flight1_BN2!GUV2,  912,49,47,47
gauge14=Flight1_BN2!Hobbs,  396,105,83,22
There is one reference to the islander in the FSX gauges files but I can't read it looks like a lot of code... totally unreadable.

Hodge001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hodge001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 9:50am

Hi

If it is the Virtavia gauge that you are attempting to open that is probably why you cannot read it as it is a .gau file, which is similar to a .dll file and about the only thing you can do with .gau files is to modify the any bitmaps t contains, beyond that you would need the original coder to change anything within it.

I don’t know if this helps, but probably not though.

Jim Hodkinson

ianscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2017 at 10:21am
This is an old thread but if anyone is looking for the answer to this problem, it is to remove the Virtavia gauge. If you have the Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk, you will have the same problem caused by the same gauge. I have spoken with the developer of the gauge and there is a way to reduce the level of the sound, though my preference was to remove it completely as it is a completely unrealistic and distracting sound. (I can say it's unrealistic as I flew the Islander for several years in New Zealand with Mount Cook Airlines... But frankly, in ANY real world aircraft, the sound would trigger an emergency response as it is the sound of metal grinding on metal and if I heard it when I used the brakes, I would stop the aircraft ASAP and ask the tower if there is any sign of smoke. If in doubt, I would evacuate the aircraft and check for fire as it would mean the brake drums were probably red or even white hot and the tires would be smoldering and ready to burst into flames)

From the gauge developer----- to keep the effect but reduce the sound level ----

Open the sound.ini file referenced above.  Find this line:

Sound00=./Sound/squeaking brakes/SB01_Brakes.wav,90

and change it to this:

Sound00=./Sound/squeaking brakes/SB01_Brakes.wav,80

That will drop the sound's volume by 10db.

You can pick any integer value between 0 and 100, although anything less than about 70 and you won't hear anything.  Below 50 your dog likely won't hear it either.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic